[TRANSLATION] Kim So Hyun for Marie Claire Korea January 2018 Issue

Kim So Hyun's 20

















Is there anyone who doesn’t get old, growing one year older is not a fuss but at least twenty years old is an exception. Each has different story, but for everyone, the time before and after climbing the “20 years old hill” are fairly special. The same thing goes to actress Kim So Hyun. We talked about the ease of leaving the “teenager phase” and the excitement of facing twenty years old without the words “It’s not a big deal”, “there is no big difference when I’m twenty years old”, and so on. Kim So Hyun’s mind is full of thoughts about unfolding many new things in a year (the first thing to do is most likely to get the driving license).  And she decided to choose Romantic Comedy Drama <Radio Romance> (working title) as her first 20s drama (adult role)

You did your first photo-shoot in your 20s with <Marie Claire>.  How was your day?
I think there will be a new vibe in the magazine photos. I like the bright vibe, but I also want to show the chic concept in this photo-shoot. I tried my best because the photographer –nim also gave me the details about the angles and compositions. I think the cold-looking and calm vibe will come out well.

Looking back, how was it when you were 19 years old?
I hadn’t turned 20 years old (at that time), so it was not a big deal. But I was not a child as well, so it was kind of an ambiguous time. I felt my shortcomings and I had a hard time, but it made me realized about something. After the Drama <Ruler: Master of the Mask> ended, I did nothing and took rest for a while. It wasn’t for a long time but it seemed like a very long break to me. I wonder if I spent my time in vain, but I think it’s good because it was the first time for me to have such a good rest. The past year was balance like a “stick and carrot” (combination of reward and punishment) year for me. When I’m looking back at my teenage years, even though I have many regrets, I think I spent them actively and meaningfully.

What kind of regret? Do you have any regrets of not being able to enjoy your daily life properly in your teenage years?
I feel sad when I think about the things that I couldn’t do. But I think, “What will be left for me if I only care about regrets”, and then I change my mindset. I think about the things I was able to do. It’s not that I could do the projects because I wanted to. I was able to do them because I was given the opportunities. I can fulfill the regrets with my acting. I feel like receiving a reward just by acting and working hard on it. I was able to active in my career proportionally to my regrets. So for now, I feel satisfied.

What is the praiseworthy part of you?
My decision to continue acting, and the projects I’ve been worked so far.  The fact that I worked hard is the part of me that I want to praise the most. The work that I like and the work that I think I can do my best on it are the same. I think I am that kind of person. That’s why I worked hard and did my best on it.

From now on, the public won’t see Kim So Hyun as the child actress, but as an independent actress in her 20s. They probably won’t understand the actress Kim So Hyun who’s entering the professional acting world.
I think my priority is being good in acting. But I wonder about the definition of ‘good’ in acting. The public point of view when they see me as ‘someone who’s becoming an adult’ is change, but I still don’t know what does that mean. I’m vaguely scared, but at least I try not to be pressured with the image that comes up when people talk about “Kim So Hyun”. From now on, people who saw me as a little girl (before I turned adult) will probably still see me with the same image for a while, but there will be people who will think, “ah, she has grown up” as well. That part is not my will (it’s something that I can’t help), but I want it to flow naturally. I don’t think I will impatiently make a turning point or change my image. But I’ll try my best as an actress.

The first episode of KBS2TV new Monday – Tuesday Drama <Radio Romance> (working title) is about to be broadcasted soon. How did you choose this project?
When the script was interesting and I could sympathize with the character, the works always turned out well. So, those two are my priority when I choose my project. I tried my best not to overwork myself or being greedy. I wondered if I would be able to handle the great deal of weight in this masterpiece. I chose <Radio Romance> because I enjoyed it when I read the script, and I wanted to give it a try. So, instead of being hit by calculation, it’s more like “since I like it, let’s do it”.

It’s your first romantic comedy.
Since it’s my first work after turning 20 years old, people around me suggested to choose a bright character. So that’s one of my reasons for choosing this drama. It may be awkward since it’s my first romantic comedy, but I want to show my “twenty years old” figure.  I think my priority is to show everyone a fresh image and bright energy from someone who just started something new. I don’t expect too much though. (laughed)

You’ve been cautious about kiss scenes so far, right?
I feel a little bit free now. So, I feel a little bit at ease as well. It’s clearly only a part of acting, but the fact that I was a teenager could disturb or break my acting empathy, so I was being cautious. Now I feel lighthearted. Ah, now I really get over it. (laughed) My childhood was the same, but my 20s and my teenage years are different. I hope everyone will enjoy to see the “20 years old Kim So Hyun” in this drama. I have desire for everyone to forget my childhood days though. (Laughed).

You’ve spent 10 years as an actress. What kind of actress do you want to be from now on?
I want to become an actress who has various acting colors, and each color is vivid. It means that I want to do various kinds of roles. I want to live a better life and I hope I can become a better actress. So when I turn 30 years old, I’ll be stronger than now.

Do you have any figure that you want to resemble?
There are many actors with good vibes. Rachel McAdams! She is so lovely. I like her vibe, and I also want to take a part in such a lovely movie like hers. Rachel McAdams is number one!

Putting aside the career, you must be looking forward for your college life which will be started soon.
I’ve entered the social life earlier than the others, but university is a different place. It belongs to a new group that I’ve never experienced before, and I want to feel that proper sense of belonging. I have a big expectation about the people I’ll meet there.  I want to meet a lot of friends and join a club activity. I also want to drink with my classmates and seniors, like get together or wrap up party. (Laughed) I want to do well and accomplish my tasks as a student. I want to get the experiences as many as I can.

What is the thing in your bucket list that you really want to achieve in your 20s?
In this drama I have a driving scene and it (driving/ having the driving license) was in my bucket list. I’m thinking to have a driving license first, because learning how to drive will help my acting rather than not knowing how to do it. The next one is getting scuba diving certificate. An Eonnie who’s close to me got her diving certificate from a foreign country and it made me envied her a lot.  I want to see the nature while swimming slowly under the water. I also want to learn English and Chinese, so I will feel comfortable whenever I have to use them in my works. Ah, I also want to learn cooking… I was going to learn about cooking at first after I finished my GED exam, but I postponed it because other things happened. I also want to learn about baking and cooking Korean food. My goal is to reach the level where my cooking is edible. It’s the level where my cooking tastes good.





cr : MARIECLAIREKOREA


Editor  Yoon Seon-Ae, Jang Jae-Young (contributing editor)
Photography  Kim Hyung-Sik
Styling  Goo Dong-Hyun
Makeup  Lee So-Yeon (Ahahong Ardor)
Casting  Grim Factory (@GRIMFACTORY2008)
Reference  January 2018 

Translated by MsSubak

No comments:

Post a Comment